2009/01/25

I don't do resolutions


I don't do resolutions, because if I force it, it won't happen. These little things are just what I want - want I long to do, to make my life better. These are the things I know I need to be happy, and that I haven't paid enough attention to lately. So this is a necessary reminder for me. You can see it larger on flickr (there are little translated notes there too if you're not Swedish and want to know what it says).



I wanted numbers printed in a certain font (Bullpen! I love Bullpen. It's from Larabie Fonts. I love Larabie fonts! I've loved Larabie fonts since ... I don't know, since I first found them and used Deftone Stylus on a homepage back in 2002. Those were the days!), cut out from a certain paper (a map page from one of my vintage atlases. I collect them only to slowly rip them apart and use the papers. I feel a little evil every time I do it).

And I know that one way of doing it is printing the word you want, making a stencil out of it with a paper knife or scissors, placing the stencil on the paper you want to cut out letters from, drawing the outlines of your letters through the stencil, then cutting out your letters.

That sounded like a lot of cutting to me.

So here's what I did (it's very possible that everyone is already doing it this way, or some other MUCH SMARTER way, and I'm going to look real stupid because I only just started doing it this way ... but I'm going to post it anyway).

1. Write whatever you want to write in a new document in Photoshop (I use CS3). Preferably the new document is the size of the paper you are going to use, so you can see right away what size the letters will be. Maybe you don't have to do this if you are smarter than me, but I have to, or else I will mess up and everything will be the wrong size. You'll want to use a nice and bold font or else you will be stuck with your scissors trying to cut them out for ages = boring. Write letters in black, on white. Or have them just outlined if you want to save ink.

2. Image -> Rotate Canvas -> Flip Canvas Horizontal

3. Load your chosen paper in the printer so that it will print on the wrong side.

4. Print.

4. Now you can cut your letters out directly without having to make a stencil first, because you flipped them horizontally, so on your side of the paper they are going to come out right! Yay!

I have a feeling this wasn't very clear ... But ... Well, anyways ... :)


- - -

Here are some happy thoughts:


Have you written down something you love today?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh yes I have, today I wrote in my notebook:

"the magical light"

hehe- a simple, short phrase, but it's what came to my mind while being sat watching a movie and just turned my head to give a look at the window side of the room. The midday light was coming in trhough the tree's branches outside, so it was changing directions as the leaves moved with the wind... it looked as if it was dancing.
It seemed magical to me :)
So I loved it, and wrote it down ;)

Karin said...

Jo: jag älskar Verner Aspenström djupt och innerligt, han är bäst. Särskilt den där kattdikten jag smygläste idag på föreläsningen.

(Jag skrev något om det i marginalen, men det gjorde mig glad att skriva ner det här också. Tack! :) )

Anonymous said...

Åh, jag gillar dina collage! Jag skrev nåt i din gätbok på fotobloggen men ingen av mina datorer får till det. Det försvinner :( men jag är enormt lycklig att se att det finns kristinuppdat att tillgå. Kram m